Two buildings near the swimming pool at a California high school were evacuated this March when incompatible chemicals were mixed.
The incident happened at Ventura High School and occurred when pool workers accidentally mixed bleach and muriatic acid. When they realized their mistake, they quickly called for help.
Hazardous-materials crews from Ventura City, Ventura County, and Oxnard fire departments responded to the scene.
Ventura Fire Battalion Chief Tony Hill said that no one was injured and that emergency response crews remained at the school for several hours to make sure that the chemicals were neutralized and removed from the location.
'We didn't have any exposures that we're aware of,' he said.
He said crews used gas monitors, and their readings remained at zero outside the room where the chemicals were mixed.
The principal of the school sent text messages to parents alerting them to the situation. Fields and rooms near the gym were closed, and a scheduled sporting event was cancelled.
The principal anticipated that everything would be back to normal by the following day.