A couple of teenagers were shocked by electricity in a hotel hot tub in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, about 20 miles west of Milwaukee. The incident happened on July 11 at the Wildwood Lodge when a 15-year-old boy and girl heard a buzzing sound and were shocked. They were able to get out of the tub and called for help before being transported to the hospital for nonlife- threatening injuries. First responders arriving on the scene found a fire in a wall of the pool area that they said “appeared to have been caused by an electrical short.”
The following day, a city building inspector checked the electrical area around the pool and issued a stop order to the hotel for the use of the pool area until the electrical problem was repaired. “This incident remains under investigation,” according to a statement.
Wildwood Lodge owner Mike Whalen said that he’d spoken with his vice president of construction, who is trying to get to the bottom of what could have caused the electrical malfunction.
“Nobody can figure out how an electric current migrated over to the hot tub,” Whalen said. “Right now, they’re doing some diagnostic testing to try to determine if they can figure out how it possibly could have happened. As soon as we can run the system, and if we can’t find anything, I guess we turn it back on and then do a test period for a while to make sure.”
Photo credit: Wildwood Lodge