Public pool sends 3 to hospital
Three people were hospitalized after incompatible chemicals were mixed at a Wisconsin public pool.
On August 6, 2020, workers who were delivering chemicals to the pool at Spash! Swim and Wellness in Mequon accidentally mixed bleach with sulfuric acid creating “a large cloud of chlorine gas,” said Mequon Deputy Fire Chief Kurt Zellman.
The facility was forced to evacuate before first responders arrived.
A chemical company employee, a swim instructor and a swimmer were taken to the hospital in “significant respiratory distress,” Zellman said.
The Fire Chief was did not believe their injuries were life threatening.
Six other people were evaluated by paramedics but they were not taken to the hospital.
Zellman said it took first responders roughly four hours to clear the chlorine gas from the indoor facility, Emergency crews consisted of the Mequon fire and police departments, Ozaukee County Emergency Management’s Hazardous Materials Team, as well as firefighters from the North Shore, Thiensville, Cedarburg, Grafton and Germantown fire departments.
Colour l e s s , odourless, and viscous liquid that is soluble in water.