An eastern Wisconsin YMCA was evacuated after chlorine gas exposure sickened several people. The incident occurred at the Appleton facility on March 5.
Specific details concerning what lead to the chlorine gas were not released but, according to an Appleton Fire Department press release, pool chemicals had been mixed.
Multiple people at the scene reported difficulty breathing, and four people were evaluated but not taken to the hospital. One person transported themself to the hospital.
A HAZMAT team was called and started an investigation. The team made several entries into the pool chemical storage area to remove the reacting chemicals from the building.
The Appleton YMCA reported on its Facebook page that the facility had closed for the day due to mechanical difficulties in the building.